WHAT IS PRESSURE COOKING?
Ordinary cooking takes place at the boiling point of water, which is 100 C. The temperature at which water boils rises with an increase in pressure and this the principle utilized by the pressure cooker to cook food at 122 C (1.055 KG/ CM2). Since cooking is done at higher temperature it is done much faster. The higher temperature and faster cooking can be achieved by utilizing pressure has been known for centuries but it was known how to control the necessary pressure safely for domestic use. This was achieved with the invention of the pressure cooker and its introduction for general domestic use only a few years ago. Thus science and technology have given housewives a simple way of improving the quality of living, which has not been available to earlier generations.
KNOW YOUR PRESSURE COOKER
Shown below are the most important parts of VIRAT pressure cooker. Do get to know their names and positions. You will find this very helpful in following the instructions.
|1. Weight Valve (Pressure Regulator)
2. Lid Handle Bar
3. Lid Handle
4. Locking Loop
5. Main Handle Bracket
6. Safety valve
9. Auxiliary Handle
DO S AND DON'TS
Please read the following instructions very carefully to ensure that pressure cooker is always kept in good working condition.
- Always use your cooker with sufficient quantity of water. Pressure cooker is cooking with steam, so there must always be water in the cooker to produce steam.
- Always ensure that the vent tube is completely free of any blockage before closing the lid. Looking through the vent tube and ensuring that the light is visible can easily do this. Always keep the vent tube clean and fixed tight.
- The weight must always be placed on the cooker only when steam starts coming out steadily through the vent tube.
- Follow the proper cooking time.
- When cooking dal (in 3 ltr, 4 ltr. or 5 ltr pressure cooker) always add a spoonful of any cooking medium oil to the contents of the pressure cooker before commencement of the cooking. Allow a few minutes before closing the lid to avoid excess froth, when cooking liquid foods, add adequate quantity of water.
- In case weight valve falls off during pressure-cooking, please get the vent tube and weight valve checked at our authorized service centre nearest to you.
- Avoid damage to the sealing rim of the lid and the vessel while cleaning of washing the cooker.
- Always store the cooker with its lid open to prevent mustiness.
- Handle the weight valve carefully. Keep it clean.
- Always keep the handles fully tightened.
- Always buy genuine spare parts at our authorized service centre nearest to you. Insist on a cash memo when buying genuine spare parts.
- Take your cooker for checking once a year so as to ensure that your cooker is always in good working condition.
- Never place a dry or empty pressure cooker on the heat source. If you ever use your cooker without any water it will get over heated and gasket may burn. The cooker may also be damaged.
- Your cooker should not be filled with more than 2/3 of its capacity for solids or its capacity for liquids. Never overloaded it any way.
- Never use the plate to cover the top separator while pressure-cooking as it may block the vent tube and the safety valve and prevent their proper functioning.
- Never attempt to force open the lid of the cooker if there is pressure inside. To check whether there is pressure inside, slightly lift the weight valve and if steam comes out, allow the cooker to cool for some more time. Always remove the weight valve first and then open the cooker.
- Never tap the rim of the cooker vessel with serving spoons, forks etc., as this may nick the sealing surface and allow steam to escape.
- Never leave the cooker standing in water, as the shine will dull.
- Never use soda ash, mud or hard abrasive to wash your cooker.
- Never try to repair the metallic safety valve and do not substitute the metallic safety valve with spurious plugs, screw the washers, always use genuine safety valve.
This cooker has three safety features:
- The weight valve
- The metallic safety valve
- The interlock system
1) The weight valve: As soon as the pressure inside the cooker reaches the normal cooking pressure the weight valve releases steam with a loud and clear whistle. For the normal cooking of food, three or four whistles are adequate to complete the cooking. The weight valve is both a control and pressure device maintaining correct pressure at all times.
2) The metallic safety valve: If for any reason the weight valve fails to function, the metallic safety valve contains the special fusible alloy pellet that melts to let out steam. This could only happen when the temperature / pressure rises beyond a safe level due to the cooker having insufficient water or food particles blocking/clogging the vent tube.
3) The interlock system: The lid cannot even be forced open until the pressure inside falls to perfectly safe level. This is because the lid is designed to close from under the rim of the cooker vessel the steam pressure keeps the lid firmly locked.
COOKING TIME TABLE
|FOOD ITEM||PREPARATION||COOKING TIME|
|Rice||Wash Rice||3 Minutes|
|Tear Dal or Mong Dal||Wash Dal||5-6 Minutes|
|Kabul channa / Rajma||Soak overnight||5-6 Minutes|
|Dehydrated Peas||Soak overnight||2-3 Minutes|
|Potatoes||Whole/Medium sizes||3-4 Minutes|
|Cauliflower||Separate into flowers||2 Minutes|
|Green peas/broad beans||Shell pods||2 Minutes|
|French beans||String & cut||2-3 Minutes|
|Pumpkin||Cut into small pieces||2 Minutes|
|Radish||Slice cross wise||2-3 Minutes|
The above cooking time commences only after the requisite pressure is reached. This time should be taken as a guide. The cooking time varies, depending upon the heat source it is being cooked on, and the quality and the quantity of the food being cooked. Please ensure that sufficient quantity of water is in the pressure cooker. Water should be hot before putting in the food items to be pressure-cooked.
Please note that the equivalent of 1 cup of water is 200 ml.
Please follow the instructions as given in this manual and this pressure cooker will serve you for years to come.